Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Monday June 30

I began the day with the REFORMA membership meeting. I reported on my work with the CAYASC (Children & Young Adult Services Committee), and described what I do as the YALSA liasion for REFORMA. In addition, I gave information about my upcoming article on this brand new joint partnership which will be in the fall issue of YALS.

After the meeting, I went to the exhibit hall with several members of the REFORMA Northeast chapter to personally thank two companies who had sponsored the professional development travel scholarship I won through this chapter to attend the conference.

It was late in the morning which meant most of the freebies were gone, but I wandered for a little bit anyway. The highlight of my search was being rewarded with the ARC for M.T. Anderson's newest release - part 2 of "The Astonishing life of Octavian Nothing," another missive titled "The Kingdom on the Waves." Each conference seems to have its own "ARC Treasure." Midwinter brought me Stephenie Meyer's "The Host," and now I get this one.

From there, I went to the AASL All Conference meeting for my "Diversity in the Organization Taskforce" introductory meeting. We threw ideas back and forth on ways to encourage diverse groups within AASL to come forth and join committees, and get involved in the organization. It was easy to see why this is an issue because as I looked around the massive room filled with large round tables filled with hard working AASL members I counted 5 people of color. Four of us were at my table.

When the meeting ended at 5, I was officially "on leave," which meant I could finally join my hubby who had been patiently bee-bopping around town since he came to join me at Disneyland on Sat. We had dinner then walked around The Garden Walk, an outdoor mall a few blocks away from our hotel. My legs are exhausted from yesterday's dancefest and from all the walking these last few days, so I had to call it an early night because tomorrow "Super Tuesday," aka "The last Hurrah," will be an early morning.

Hope you guys have enjoyed learning and reading about the many ways AASL, ALA, MSLA, and other groups within the organization are working to improve life for school librarians like yourself, and will be inspired to lend a hand. As the saying goes "many hands make light work." We need your hands.

See you tomorrow!

No comments: