Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Coretta Scott King Awards and The Inaugural Ball

Seven AM found me bright eyed and bushy tailed (ok - sleepy and yawning) at the breakfast for the 40th anniversary of the Coretta Scott King Awards. Kadir Nelson won the author award for his book "We are the ship: The story of Negro League baseball," while the illustrator award went to Floyd Cooper for "The blacker the berry." The various honorees, as well as the gold medalists were profuse in their thanks to the CSK committee for the honors bestowed upon them. It was a wonderful time of solidarity.

I attended Camila Alire's Open House Reception in her suite, then prepared for the Inaugural Ball, held in the fabulous ballroom of the Hilton. I felt like Cinderella, as it was my first Ball, and it was magnificent. A live band played a mixture of 70's disco, modern songs, as well as Latin numbers, while a huge crowd of librarians cut a fabulous rug all night long. I danced non stop for hours, and when I dragged up to my room at 12:05, I definitely felt like I had turned back from Cinderella to my usual self. What a wonderful time! I am so happy for Camila, as she is a good friend and will be a fabulous leader for ALA.

Another conference has passed, filled with a mixed bag of activities. As you can see by reading all these posts, each of us took something different home with us. Maybe you'll be inspired to attend for yourself and then get involved in some aspect. You definitely won't regret it.

See you at Midwinter in Boston 2010!
Alma

No comments: